Friday, March 4, 2016

MadCap's Game Reviews - "Dragon Age: Inquisition - Jaws of Hakkon"

Okay...yeah...boy is this a little awkward.

I wasn't originally going to do these out of protest, even play them.  I was finished with Dragon Age forever, I really was.

...then someone bought me the Game of the Year Edition because they knew that I had been a fan of the series...with a little less emphasis on the had been part of it.  So, call me a hypocrite if you like, I've never claimed to be anything else.  But I have come to the decision that it is unfair to punish Bioware for EA's business practices, so I'll continue to give Dragon Age patronage...and no other EA product.

...speaking of which, how are the Mass Effect games?

And while I avoid my stoning by the gaming community at large, let me get on with story such as we have it. It's once more back to the war-table as the Inquisition aids in a scholar's look into the Frostback Basin to find the remains of the original Inquisitor.  Thus it was time for me to step back into the boots of mage Inquisition Adaon Trevelyan.  Fresh off of using the Fade to burn the diseased crusty skin off of Corypheus' face, he decided to take a vacation into the snowy Frostbacks only to be besieged by a cult of Avvar barbarians known as the Jaws of Hakkon.

Thus, his holiday ruined, he decides to go and wreak a little havoc on the inconsiderate bastards by finding the remains of his predecessor and beating the crap out of their god.  I will go ahead and say that the final fight with Hakkon is a major high point for me, even if it does devolve into a slug fest with the occasion stunning attack that does nothing except waste my time and drag out the brawl even longer than it needs to be.

Also, sudden and inexplicable shielding to enemies after certain attacks? Get rid of them, Bioware. If I'm in need of padding, I'll be calling out to the Victoria's Secret shops, not you.

Mechanics wise, very little has changed beyond a few new things on the talent trees.  The Inquisitor tree in particular gets a fun little ability called Aegis of the Rift which comes into play later on, Adaon found it quite useful to block incoming projectiles so he could lay down the hurt.  However, despite the emphasis on strategy that was touted up before, it's literally a game of just making sure your group is well-equipped and of the appropriate level to be running about in the area. No muss, no fuss.

As for in-game, we get a more in-depth look at the Avvar in-game, which is very nice considering you have to learn everything else from supplementary materials and I have no interest in doing the summer reading for things that should be brought to my attention within the main form of media (and neither should you).  The Avvar really do have a very interesting culture and I would like to see more representation for them in future games in the series, possibly as a playable character background? Hint hint, Bioware.

Apart from that, not much to say. It's an adequate extension of the base game, topped with a battle against a spirit-god dragon and getting a snazzy suit of armor for your trouble.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Jaws of Hakkon is now available for download for PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

For the latest from the MadCapMunchkin, be sure to follow him on Twitter @MadCapMunchkin.

...okay, yeah, I know you were expecting Far Cry Primal.  Next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment