Friday, February 19, 2016

MadCap's Game Reviews - "Star Wars Battlefront"

Y'know, there's really no fanbase that I've ever seen that deserves the rage they kick up when they get mad as fans of Star Wars do.  Being that they recently received the first movie they can be not ashamed to call one of the franchise since 1983, it's clear to see that Star Wars fans have been through quite a bit of crap over the past thirty-two years, what with George Lucas wanting to suck out more money from it than a prostitute who just got cured of lockjaw with things like good storytelling, care for what the fans actually wanted to see, and common sense cast aside with reckless abandon.  However, I'm here to say something that I think everyone on the whole of the internet needs to hear.  So, uncover your ears, keep your hands off your keyboards and don't be clicking away to another tab, none of it.  Stop everything you're doing and read the following out loud to yourself.

"I really need to stop complaining."

...yes, you read that correctly.  No, I'm not saying it because the dark times of Star Wars are over (there are still at least two more films that can be easily ruined).  No, I'm not saying that because I'm a shill for Abrams or Disney. I'm saying it because I'm sick of hearing from everyone about how "Star Wars is ruined forever".  People, if we can get past Jar Jar Binks, we can get past EA making every single Star Wars game from now until the end of time.

Star Wars Battlefront is the third in the Battlefront series and the first to be brought to us by EA DICE, and everyone and their mother has an opinion of it. Most of them are bad, hatred-filled spewings declaring it the end of Star Wars games.  Uh, internet, just because everything's not going to be Knights of the Old Republic again doesn't mean that you need to condemn it to the Seventh Circle of Hell out of hand.  You could just condemn it because it's your standard modern day shooter done up with various multiplayer maps with bots in place of actual enemies.

And that's really it. It plays well as a shooter, but doesn't offer anything else new.  Strip the graphics and you can convince yourself you're playing a Call of Duty game.  It's the superficial trappings over some mechanics from somewhere else that they're more prevalent (sound familiar?), la de da, we've all seen it before.  There's nothing new or innovative and one really is dumb for expecting such things from any EA product that doesn't have Bioware attached - and even that is starting to be a particularly flimsy claim. You wanted a story? Don't make me laugh.

The only real major criticism I have for the game is the size of the maps.  I have literally - I swear this is true - gone from one end of a map to the other without once encountering a single enemy, which allowed me plenty of time to enjoy the recreations of scenes that are vaguely like the planet from the Star Wars saga that I'm supposed to be on.

So, am I going to defend this game? Absolutely not.

Am I going to ask people to not act like its the coming of the Anti-Christ and now nothing will be good again ever? You bet.

I mean, really, if we can get beyond The Force Unleashed, we can get beyond this, people!

Star Wars Battlefront is now available from Electronic Arts and EA Dice for Microsoft Windows, Playstation 4, and Xbox One.

For the latest from the MadCapMunchkin, be sure to follow him on Twitter @MadCapMunchkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment