Saturday, August 6, 2016

MadCap At The Movies - "Suicide Squad"

Stop the presses! Stop the presses! Stop the presses!

Let me tell you, my friends, the critics don't know jack!

...except me. I'm a critic, and I know jack, and this is an awesome movie! I know, I know, I'm a self-professed Marvel fanboy and I railed against both this given its trailer content and the most recent cinematic abortion that Zack Snyder still suffers in the Phantom Zone for. But all my fears have been put to rest.

I feared that Will Smith would be underused and otherwise made out to be the "old guy" in the group.

He wasn't and he was phenomenal.

I feared that Margot Robbie wouldn't use Harley's traditional accent and would be nothing more than glorified eye candy.

She did and she wasn't. She was both sexy and funny as all get out.

And, I feared most of all...Jared Leto as the Joker.

He was excellent and didn't steal the spotlight as I feared he would, as he did in Batman: Assault on Arkham.

Now, the only problem with this film is...it doesn't really leave much to the other characters. Because, despite this being a team movie, they really aren't the focus.  I still have no idea (or inclination to go find out) who Rick Flag (Joel Kinnamen) is.  In fact, the only character I really care all that much to find out more about is El Diablo (Jay Hernandez), because he does get a good amount of focus in the film.

Not to say the other characters are bad, and everyone does get their moment in the sun - much like in Guardians of the Galaxy - but the main focus here is very much on Deadshot, Harley, and the Joker. And that's not a bad thing per se.

Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) is very excellent in her role as a cold, ruthless government employee who puts together the team for the good ol' Red, White, and Blue (and her own agenda, of course). While it is sad that we're not getting the iconic voice of the character, CCH Pounder from Justice League Unlimited and other DC animated productions, Davis does do an excellent job and is a worthy successor to the role. I look forward to seeing her in the future.

In fact, I'd like to see more of all of this all over the DC Expanded Universe. This is the humor and joy that was missing from Batman vs. Superman. It was clear that not only was some real talent behind this, but they really cared about something other than exercising their fetish for hating buildings and destroying buildings. There is real character here, a real reason to get invested and care about this bunch of cutthroats, lunatics, and psychopaths.

I've seen this film, among other things, being accused of being a Marvel rip-off. Yes. Actually being good and successful are things that DC should be ripping off with its films. And, to its credit, the film revels in that fact. One of the major themes is owning what you are, and the film most certainly does that as do its characters within the narrative...but that's getting into spoilers.

Basically, go and see this movie! Have a popcorn, get an ICEE, sit back and ignore the critics.

Because they don't know jack.

...except me, I'm a critic, and I know jack. And this movie is really, really, really good!

Suicide Squad is now in theaters from DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Pictures.

For the latest from the MadCapMunchkin, be sure to follow him on Twitter @MadCapMunchkin.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I have been looking forward to and dreading this movie mostly because I wanted to see Viola, Will and Margot but didnt want to see Jared Leto! As an actor he really rubs me the wrong way, like, I really cannot stand him. That being said, the critics had me worried but seeing how you recommend it as a Marvel fan I will make time in my schedule to form my own opinion. Nice site btw, I will be following from now on!

    ReplyDelete