Wednesday, November 8, 2017

MadCap Does NaNoWriMo 2017

That's right, everyone! As I've said on Twitter, I've decided to undertake The National Novel Writing Month, or "NaNoWrimo" as it's referred to by some. I am actually a writer and, seeing as I said something on Twitter about me taking a stab at this already, I thought new content might come in the form of my completed chapters of my novel...which will likely never be published or serve any purpose but for my own enjoyment. Why? Well, simply put, because it's fanfiction.  But not just fanfiction, no! I, your beloved MadCap, have decided to dance with the Devil and risk copyright strikes and cease and desist orders from Disney!

That's right...it's Star Wars!

Why? Well, because I'd had a story idea kicking around in my head for quite some time that I've wanted to get out into written form (as well as, potentially, audio form) and I could very easily remove the Star Wars references and the like and turn it into an original work at some point down the road...although, I imagine the clear homages and inspiration will be abundantly obvious. And so, because the internet is such a loving and welcoming place to new and original ideas, I've decided to throw caution to the wind and use the content I'm generating to...generate new content for the blog.

I'm already several chapters ahead, having gotten to 18,239 words thus far by NaNo's own counter (I did mention I've had this story in my head for a long while, right?). While the goal is 50,000, I'm letting the chips fall where they may and seeing just how far I can go with this, although I intend to let the story end where it ends. Who knows? If people like it, I might write up a sequel or carry it along as long as I get ideas. If not, this may just end up being a one-time experiment for my own edification.

You can find the information about my NaNo writing here. For those who don't wish to click through, however, I offer a brief synopsis here in the hope that it will whet your appetite for the first chapter to come tomorrow evening - and the chapters to follow, one a day until I run out.

Minos Mayhem

When Alderaan was destroyed, the galaxy was thrown into chaos. When the Death Star was blown up by a ragtag bunch of Rebel Alliance pilots, it proved that the Empire could be beaten. But Calen Darkhaven was nowhere near Alderaan or the Death Star on the days they were destroyed. He wasn't even in the same part of the galaxy for either.

When the destruction of Alderaan came, he had run. And he has been running now for a year, the pilot on a small cargo vessel known as the Triumphant Dawn. It's been quiet. He flies the ship, keeps his mouth shut, no one asks questions, and all seems good. Too good, in fact. That strange feeling comes back to haunt him again on the day the Dawn is supposed to make a simple cargo drop. Business as usual.

But a mishap leads to him having a dead crew, a dead captain, and only the help of an old soldier to unravel the mystery of a map left behind. A map leading to the place where the bright center of the universe is farthest from: The Minos Cluster.


Beyond it, there's nothing. In the cluster...the Empire. And more, as Calen will find out. The Force calls to those it may...now, he must answer it.

Excited?

Confused?

Wanting to throw various slurs at me?

Drop 'em in the comments!

Also, because it's a traditional cliché of fanfiction as a whole, I shall say for the first and last time that Star Wars is the property of Lucasfilm and Disney. I do not, nor ever will own it.

See ya next time!

For the latest from the MadCapMunchkin, be sure to follow him on Twitter @MadCapMunchkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment