Friday, January 1, 2016

MadCap's Game Reviews - "The Worst Games of 2015"

Oh, would you look at that? Another year gone. And now, it's time for me to put up my customary lists of best and worst games of this the year 2015. Or rather, that the last year, 2015, since we're all sitting pretty in the brand new shiny year of 2016. Huzzah!

So, here's the worst simply because I like to start off my New Years' screaming like an angry psychopath about things I don't like. But enough about my family's lavish cocaine and meat cleaver parties, let's get on with the festivities.  This year, instead of a Top 10 list, you'll have to settle for a Top 5, because while I played more than enough games to make such lists, too many of them were good, so I had nothing I could really do, alas.


5. Dragon Ball Xenoverse - Resurrection of F

Review here

I liked Xenoverse. Quite a bit. I didn't care for the DLC packs. They barely had any substance and what they did have was sadly very lacking.  A few additional characters and some items were nice, but with no story mode and a distinctive lack of Super Saiyan 3, Super Saiyan God and other transformation modes makes this...really rather disappointing.

4. Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale

Review here

How are you going to have a D&D game that is so boringly generic and lacking in any character customization? What the hell were you thinking Atari?  Not that I could expect anything better from Fourth Edition...

3. Grabbed By The Ghoulies

Review here

Rare's last dying gasp turned out to be a choked stranglehold beneath the feet of Microsoft.  There is a good game here, but it's completely ruined by a fear mechanic that serves no purpose, a camera you can't control, and a main character who you want to punch in his smug face.

Also, Jump Scares. Which are never not stupid.

2. Mummies Rising

Review here

Yeah, anyone who saw my review of this knew I'd have to say something.  Though I didn't honestly think it would get so high on my list, truth be told.  But as I went back to it for another review (or a re-review, if you will), I honestly can't find any redeeming qualities to it.  You can't see anything more than five feet in front out of you, you move slower than a senior citizen on a walker walking backwards through molasses up to their waist any time you attempt to turn or change direction.

And forget running, there is no running.

Coupled with the complete lack of originality or diversity with guns, I'm not really sure who it is that this is for. It's just really not good. At all. And I'm not saying that because it's a small little indie developer who has no talent whatsoever. I'm saying it because it's bad. Bad lighting, bad guns, bad controls. Just...bad.

And speaking of bad, bad, bad...

1. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Review here

Yeah, there are no redeeming qualities to this game. None. At all. It takes what was my favorite franchise as a child and projectile shits on it at every turn. The fact that this game exists is affront to anyone who had any love of Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie. I'd almost argue that it's an affront to the very fabric of creation itself. Everything this game can get wrong, it does. It insults the fans of the series, it smothers the likability of the main characters, much less the several others we've come to know and love through the series.  There is really no way I can even look at this game without wanting to invite every single form of destruction that I could visit upon it.

It's right up there with Halloween II in terms of the terrible, terrible things I would do that would never see the ramifications of legal action. Because five minutes into playing this, and pretty much everyone would immediately agree that I was completely justified. The crux of my entire defense would be pointing right at the tattered remains of the game disc and I'd get off Scott-free.

And all of that isn't even getting into how stupid it is to take a series that was so built around platforming and change it into a game about cars.  Cars.  And that's a very minor complaint in the grand scheme.  The fact was that Microsoft gave not one shit about the fans of the series who had so loved it and wanted the long-awaited third part of it to be good, and Rare was unable to deliver what they had in the past and are now simmering in the lowest depths of Kinect Hell for their trouble.

...which I'm pretty sure is just Hell.

For the latest from the MadCapMunchkin, be sure to follow him on Twitter @MadCapMunchkin.

1 comment:

  1. well, at least there's Yuka-Laylee to look forward too as a result of Nuts and Bolts!

    ReplyDelete