Friday, December 19, 2014

MadCap's Game Reviews - "Robot Unicorn Attack Christmas"

What do you mean I've reviewed this before?

...what? That? No, you must be thinking of something else entirely.

That game where you maneuver an equestrian avatar through deadly dangers to catch floating butterflies and blow up stars is completely different through this game...where you have a suspiciously similar character dressed up in a festive holiday sweater and antlers running to catch floating presents and blowing up snowflakes with supersonic speed.

...okay, so it's a bit of a cheat. Sue me.

The Flash game Robot Unicorn Attack was a surprise smash hit of the long, long ago time of the early 2010s, so it's only natural that Adult Swim would want to push a festive holiday version of it, Robot Unicorn Attack Christmas (and, much like Star Trek Into Darkness, I'm wondering where the colon is supposed to go).  And with such wonderful games such as Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition out of my grasp at the moment, I find myself occupied with...well...this.  And, of course, 'tis the season, right? So, naturally, I want to spend my Christmas with a robot unicorn.

This game, for all the aesthetic differences, controls and plays exactly like the game its based from.  The unicorn runs forever to the right, forcing the player to either blitz their way through obstacles and capture the floating objects of the unicorn's desire, all the while avoiding pitfalls and solid surfaces while racking up points. And, to answer myself from the previous review, there is no end to it.  The game just goes on and one, the platforms becoming more elaborate and the speed of the unicorn growing faster and faster until the player's manual dexterity cannot keep up and the unicorn inevitably comes into contact with one of the aforementioned dangers.

There is literally no point to it at all, but it's very addicting. Much like the first game, I found myself coming back every so often when I had the time to kill for no other reason than to get a little further on the goat (or, in this case, unicorn) path to nowhere. Normally I'm not someone who worries about that sort of thing. I don't one hundred percent most, if any, games I play, and I rarely go out of my way in anything other than an RPG. But this, like the first one, is pleasantly addictive, which is - in the end, the point.

I will say, I do like the look of the world we're present with - a snowy wonderland in place of the majestic rainbow one we had in the original game.  The unicorn and the world about him are wonderfully festive, and even the soundtrack joins in on it, though this sadly means that we lose the very addictive "Always" by Erasure. And while The Darkness is not a bad band, "Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)" just doesn't have the same memorability of "Always". Perhaps because that song, and the game it was attached to in general, were so ridiculously over the top as to be memorable in the extreme.

Not bad, just not really memorable.

And that's this game in a nutshell. It's a holiday version of a game that's already fairly good, and while the change in scenery and feel is nice, I have to say I prefer the original. Even if it's the Holiday season.

Robot Unicorn Attack Christmas is now available from Spiritonin Media Games and Adult Swim, on Flash, iOS, and Android.

For the latest on the MadCapMunchkin, be sure to follow him on Twitter @MadCapMunchkin.

I might even review
actual games again soon...oh, the joy...

No comments:

Post a Comment