Tuesday, January 8, 2013

MadCap's Mad Rantings - "Holy Marvel, Batman!" and "Pokemon: The Next Next Next Next Next Generation"

Alrighty, some big announcements in the world of gaming to blitz through today. Okay, one big and one not so big, but all in due course.  First up, we got a big one and do mean a big one today.

That's right! 

The Marvel Universe is finally colliding with the LEGO one!

And I know you're just as excited by it as I am.  And by that, I mean only really kind of. I actually played the second Star Wars LEGO Game to come out and I wasn't overly impressed.  It was fun, sure, but that was all it really was.  Tonally, it just didn't really fit.  With recent success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (leading up the glorious blockbuster that was The Avengers...and yes, I'm being entirely unironic when I say that), this is definitely a sort of timely cash-in.

Instead of being bound by the laws that keep the movie studios from finally just giving us a Secret Wars movie like we all want, however, the Warner Bros. Interactive and TT Games will be bringing in the all star cast of characters from Captain America to the Amazing Spider-Man to Wolverine and beyond! Which is actually kinda awesome. This one, I might actually pick up when it comes out. I still don't think it fits really, against its a tonal issue with me like the Star Wars or the Indiana Jones games.  Still, it might be worth a play-through when it comes out.

And now (since you patiently read the article and didn't scroll down to this section) Behold!!!!
Huh...well, okay then.

If you can't already tell, I'm not exactly enthused about the Pokemon series as it stands.  I certainly don't have any hate against it, it was one of the first franchises I played as a kid and its stuck with me pretty much up to the present day. I just kind of wonder how the series has been able to exist for as long as it has with almost no change whatsoever (then again, then same could be said of certain other properties that Nintendo has in their clutches, particularly ones centered around a portly Italian gentleman with an admittedly snazzy red hat). Still, it looks like there have been at least some changes to the world since I last stepped into it, so who knows?

Granted, it's all going to be on the 3DS, so my own personal interest is pretty much completely deader than disco even more than it would be otherwise.  Still, I'm sure I'll hear about it from some of my Nintendo-centric friends and get their opinions on it.

From the announcement trailer, it looks like Pokemon X and Y (really? No colors anymore?) are set to launch in October of this year.

...oh, and David Bowie turned 66 today. Ground control to Major Tom, you've really made the grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment