Monday, June 21, 2021

MadCap's Mod Mondays - "The Genie"


Welcome back to the land of Skyrim. Been a while since we were here last, so long that I had actually forgotten I have a section for Mods on my blog. Granted, I've only down now three to date - so that's hardly pulling numbers worthy of a permanent place on my schedule, now is it?

Sure, it's my own fault, but I'd rather blame it on the people who aren't reading. So there.

If you are reading, then welcome to "The Genie" by HeliosProtector. Upon downloading the mod and loading up a save, you'll immediately get a journal entry with a new quest named after the titular mod, telling you to head to Riverwood. This is kind of a problem I have with a lot of the Creation Club mods in that you just get a journal entry and get pointed in a direction instead of stumbling onto the secret yourself.

Then again, I'm also the first one to roll my eyes and huff in irritation if a mod leaves something stuck in the middle of nowhere with no indication of where it is, so perhaps I should shut my mouth.

Regardless, upon reaching Riverwood, you will meet the titular Genie to the west across the bridge from the rest of the town...and no one seems to be acting any differently due to his presence. With a rather inhuman voice (which your character can comment on in dialogue), he asks you to retrieve a book for him and in return he will grant you one wish. No muss, no fuss. . .or is it?

The quest marker points you to the tower in between Riverwood and Bleak Falls Burrow, where the book in question is being held by a sorcerer with two Dremora in his company. You can gain the book by purchase, Illusion magic, or just the good ol' fashion "Stabbed you and you're dead, it's mine now" principal, which is what my Imperial Warrior did and with gusto no less.

Upon returning...no, it's not a trap or a trick or anything of the sort. The genie does indeed grant you a single wish. Granted, they are only from four options (one of which branches off) due to limitations with the engine and with what can be programmed, but still.

This can be the second time you've never had a friend like him...

You can wish for an unbeatable sword...and you shall receive a cutlass that is unenchanted but has damage in the triple digits.

You can wish to become the richest person in Skyrim, upon which one million gold pieces will be added to your inventory.

You can wish for a lover, be they male, female, or...well, you can ask to be surprised. I was surprised and laughed out loud when I saw the result.

You can refuse the wish and just be glad that you helped, upon which the Genie grants you his respect and his blessing of a 50% resistance to magic.

Let me say that again - 50% resistant to magic.

Ho. Lee. SHIT!

. . .it's my blog, I'm allowed to swear. Particularly when something that busted happens. Sure, a 50% resistance to magic doesn't seem like much, but consider: Bretons already have 50% resistance to magic, meaning that playing one of them will get you complete resistance to magic if you take this option. Plus, it's literally in the starting village area (unless you're living life as an Infinity Gauntlet-wielding Thor Odinson), meaning that you can be 100% magic proof within 20 minutes of escaping Helgen, if not sooner.

That's all it is, though. A cute little quest mod. Is it lore friendly? I have no idea. As far as I know in Elder Scrolls, Clavicus Vile is the one cornering the market on wish-making.

That said, I also don't care if a mod is lore friendly and I especially don't care if it's something fun. Is "The Genie" fun? It's an enjoyable little side quest that can have some big ramifications for your character in a Skyrim playthrough. I'm kind of confused by how the genie just kind of sticks around in Riverwood after the quest. You can't interact with him and, in fact, can't even interact with him besides speaking to him - even attacking.

After the quest, you can't even do that. Kind of weird. I'd expected him and his tent to disappear or something, but they just...stick around.


I definitely would like to see HeliosProtector develop this further, maybe explain more about where the Genie has come from or what his ultimate goal is. There's the in-game book that you bring back to him, but that might admittedly be references and the like that I'm missing.

That said if you want something with a little flavor, or if you want to make the easiest million gold you ever have in your life, or you want to completely break spellcasters in the game and make yourself immune to them, then you should most definitely check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment