Friday, April 26, 2019

MadCap At The Movies - "Avengers: Endgame" (no spoilers)

Okay, so I was going to do a non-spoiler review and a spoiler review and just rake in the mad ad revenue dollars...I mean, have one for those that wanted to avoid spoilers and those that didn't care or had already seen the movie. So that's what I'm going to do. This is the no-spoiler version of the review. If you don't want spoilers, then feel free to proceed. If you want spoilers or you have already seen the movie, then feel free to check out the spoiler review here.

We good? Good. Excelsior!


The culmination of a decade of films. A lofty pedestal that should not have been remotely possible to reach within a single franchise, and yet here it is.Utterly fantastic from start to finish, it's as if the last ten years of films were literally bursting out of every single frame of the film. Avengers: Endgame is literally all that. The cast and crew, under the direction of the Russo Brothers (for the last time, I'm certain, unless Marvel decides to give them more money) has crafted a three hour epic that stands as a celebration of where the franchise has been, and where this phase of it ends.

And brother, let me tell you they pull out all the stops! While there are a few things that I'd tweak and only one thing that I'd remove completely, this film has everything you're looking for. Pay off for things many films in the past? They got it. Call backs to things that happened before? Got it. Resolution on long standing character arcs? Got it. Fanservice? Oh, you better believe they got it. That last category in particular. A few moments, particularly in the back half, had me almost standing up and cheering.

I will give a pro tip to anyone who goes to see this movie: go pee beforehand. It is three hours long and I'll be happy to tell you it doesn't drag anywhere within it...although that has the unfortunate side-effect of not having any real gaps for you to get out to go to the bathroom for. The only ones I can really think of, offhand, are the literal moment the San Francisco title card shows up and where the Hulk is having lunch (neither one of those makes sense without context, so don't worry about it being spoilerific). Other than that, I suggest you make plans to go beforehand. I even skipped out on my traditional ICEE because of the runtime and I'm glad that I did.

This film is magnificent and probably the best film that Marvel has produced. Period. End of statement. If you haven't seen it, go and see it. It is absolutely completely worth it.

No, I'm not kidding. Drop what you're doing right now and go see this movie.

...yes, now! Go!

Avengers: Endgame is now in theaters from Marvel Entertainment and Walt Disney Pictures.

For the latest from the MadCapMunchkin, be sure to follow him on Twitter @MadCapMunchkin.

Oh, and one more thing...there is no post-credits scene, but there is a lovely little thing in the mid-credits that, if you've been following along with the franchise for a while, you won't want to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment