Monday, October 21, 2019

MadCap's Reel Thoughts - "Night of the Demons 2" (1994)

*thump!*

*thump!*

*thump!*

*thump!*

*thump!*

*thump!*

...no matter how hard I smack my head against the keyboard, it doesn't get any better.

I won't lie and say that I was anything other than a vehement and vocal opponent of insult to sanity that was the first movie. I said it was clearly the worst parts of the 1980s horror films trying to die just so that they could get away from it. Now we're in 1994...there's no excuse for that. Does the sequel fair any better? Well, let me give you a hint...

*thump!*


It has been six years since the events of the first movie. Angela Franklin's body was not recovered from Hull House and she's believed to have gone to Hell. A year ago, her parents committed suicide after receiving a Halloween card from her (I didn't even know they made those), and now Angela's totally mentioned in the last movie what do you mean?-sister Melissa (Merle Kennedy) is living at a Catholic boarding school. Surely this means that things will be better for her! She's nowhere near the Hull House and-

One of her friends decides they want to have a party there.

...

...because we've never seen that before.

That's kind of the problem with this entire film. It's a retread. Not a reboot. No, it basically follows the same formula with a bunch of different, equally annoying and forgettable teenagers. There's really no new ground to cover here and it's just...boring. I know that's a common complaint that the detractors of slasher films make, but it really is. This is not a concept that held water the first time, why in the hell did they think it was going to hold water for a sequel?

And another sequel?

And a remake?!

All by doing the same thing?!

I mean, I may get onto the later Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street sequels for pulling this crap, but at least it was clear then that they were trying. And they weren't about 15 years too late for it to matter.

The one thing that I can say that's positive about this film is that Amelia Kinkade seems to be having a good time, if nothing else. And there is literally nothing else interesting to say about it.

Actually, I lied. Amelia Kinkade is the niece of Rue McClanahan. That's it, that's an interesting factoid for you, thanks Wikipedia!

...look, it's more interesting than anything this film has to offer. I'm stretching here. It's your cheap horror knock off film that tries to run through every cliche in the book and fails to loop infinity to make anything seem interesting. It has gore. Lots of gore.

That's it. That's all I got. I need to go kill my brain cells for letting my kill my brain cells.

*thump!*

Night of the Demons 2 is brought to us by Paramount Pictures.

For the latest from the MadCapMunchkin, be sure to follow him on Twitter @MadCapMunchkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment